The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC) does not provide advocacy services, but we can give you information and support that will help you protect your rights when using Victorian public mental health services. If you would like an advocate too - for example if you are a compulsory inpatient and need support to talk to your treating team - the organisations listed below may be able to help.

Example issue


I am on a compulsory treatment order. I want an advocate to help me talk to my treating team to make sure my views and preferences are heard.

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

Phone: 1300 947 820

Visit: www.imha.vic.gov.auExternal Link

IMHA offers support and advocacy for Victorians at risk of being placed on an Order or who are receiving compulsory mental health treatment (both as inpatients or in the community) to make and participate in decisions about their assessment, treatment and recovery.

I am in hospital with my consent (voluntary). I want to know more about my rights while I am in hospital, and have more say in my treatment.

Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)

Phone: (03) 9380 3900

Visit: www.vmiac.org.auExternal Link

Run by consumers for consumers, VMIAC is the peak Victorian organisation for people with a lived experience of mental health or emotional challenges. It offers information, support programs and short-term, non-legal advocacy.

My family member or friend is in hospital. I want to know more about my rights as a carer and need support.


Phone: 1800 314 325

Visit: www.tandemcarers.org.auExternal Link

Tandem is the Victorian peak body representing and advocating for family and friends supporting people living with mental health issues.

I have concerns about /or need advice about guardianship/power of attorney/medical treatment decision making.

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA)

Phone: 1300 309 337

Visit: publicadvocate.vic.gov.auExternal Link

OPA safeguards the rights and interests of people with disability, including Victorians receiving treatment in a mental health facility.

Reviewed 14 April 2021

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC)

Was this page helpful?