You have the right to make a complaint about a public mental health service directly to the service, as well as to the Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC). 

Find contact details for Victoria's mental health services. Every service must have its own process to help you speak up and raise your concerns.

It’s your choice whether to raise your concerns directly, or go through the MHCC. Many concerns (for example, concerns about communication) can be resolved very quickly by going directly to the service. However, if you prefer to make a complaint to the MHCC, or would like our support to make a complaint to the service, please contact us.

Remember, the Mental Health Act 2014 says you cannot be treated unfairly because you make a complaint. If you feel you have been treated unfairly for making a complaint, either to the service or to the MHCC, we encourage you to contact us.

Reviewed 09 April 2021

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC)

Was this page helpful?