Complaints we can help with

The MHCC deals with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria, including issues such as access, treatment and care. We can take complaints about the following services:

  • designated mental health services, including hospital-based, community, residential, specialist and forensic services
  • publicly funded mental health community support services if they are not funded by the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme)
  • NDIS services, but only if your complaint is about things that happened before 1 July 2019 or before the service was funded by the NDIS. Otherwise, please contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission.

If you’re not sure whether the MHCC can help you, please call us on 1800 246 054 (free from landlines) or 03 9032 3328 to discuss your options. If we can’t help you with your concerns, we will do our best to put you in touch with people who can.

How to make a complaint

You can make a complaint to the MHCC or contact the service directly. Every public mental health service has a process to raise your concerns.

You can make a complaint to the MHCC by:


Call us on 1800 246 054 (free call from landlines) or 03 9032 3328.


Complete our online complaint form 


Complete a complaint form (below) or write down your complaint and send to our office via:

  • Post: MHCC, Level 26, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne, 3000
  • Fax: 03 9949 1506

          Complaint form (Word)

          Complaint form (PDF)

If you like, we can assist you to complete our complaint form or help you to clarify what you would like to include in your complaint.

How we can support you to make a complaint

We can receive and respond to complaints in any language through an interpreter. Please let us know if you would like us to arrange a free interpreter.

For resources on making a complaint in other languages, Easy English and Auslan, see accessible resources.

If you are Deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us:

  • through the National Relay Service, giving our free call number (1800 246 054)
  • by email, and we can arrange an appointment or Skype call using an interpreter.

What happens when you make a complaint 

We will listen to your concerns and talk to you about the options that are available for resolving your complaint.

For example, we can:

  • help you raise your concerns directly with the service 
  • work with you and the service to help resolve your concerns
  • discuss other options, if we are unable to take your complaint.

We will ask you:

  • your name and contact details
  • what your complaint is about
  • who is involved
  • what you would like to happen next.

In most cases, we need this information to help resolve your complaint, but if you have any concerns about sharing this information with us, please let us know.

If your complaint is about someone else’s experience we usually need to seek their consent to the complaint. Learn more about what happens if you are not the person receiving the mental health service in thinking about making a complaint.

We will work with you and the service to address your concerns, to safeguard your rights, and to make improvements.

Read more about our approach to resolving complaints