The Mental Heath Complaints Commissioner (MHCC) deals with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria. Find what complaints can we help with?.

If your concern is about something other than a Victorian public mental health service, you may be able to get advice or help from one of the organisations listed below.

If you’re not sure whether the MHCC or one of these organisations can help you, please contact us for assistance.

  • Concern


    I want to apply to have my Treatment Order cancelled

    Mental Health Tribunal (MHT)

    Phone: 1800 242 703

    Visit:  www.mht.vic.gov.au

    The MHT is the independent tribunal established by the Mental Health Act 2014 to:

    • decide whether patients need compulsory mental health treatment; and
    • protect patient rights by conducting hearings to identify the least restrictive way people can receive the treatment they need.

    I want a second psychiatric opinion on my treatment and whether the criteria for my Order under the Mental Health Act 2014 apply to me

    Second Psychiatric Opinion Service (SPOS)

    Phone: 1300 503 426

    Visit: www.secondopinion.org.au

    SPOS offers independent second psychiatric opinions to people who are being treated as a compulsory, forensic or security patient under the Mental Health Act 2014. Second psychiatric opinions can give people additional information to challenge or participate in treatment decisions.

  • Concern


    Private mental health services including private:

    • hospitals
    • psychiatrists
    • psychologists

    General practitioners

    Personal health information held by private health providers.

    Public health services if not mental health-related (the MHCC deals with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria).

    Health Complaints Commissioner (HCC)

    Phone: 1300 582 113

    Visit:  www.hcc.vic.gov.au

    The HCC resolves complaints about healthcare and the handling of health information in Victoria. It also investigates matters and reviews complaints data to help health providers improve the quality of their service.

    Health practitioners registered by Ahpra (such as doctors, nurses and psychologists) if your concerns are about their behaviour or how they practice. 

    The MHCC may also be able to help with these complaints. Please contact us to discuss.

    Also find information on Aphra in What complaints can we help with?

    Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra)

    Phone: 1300 419 495

    Visit: www.ahpra.gov.au

    Ahpra works in partnership with 15 National Health Practitioner Boards in implementing the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme. It ensures the community has access to a safe health workforce across all professions. Every decision Aphra makes is guided by the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law as in force in each state and territory.
    Private health insurance

    The Commonwealth Ombudsman

    Phone: 1300 362 072

    Visit: www.ombudsman.gov.au

    The Commonwealth Ombudsman protects the interests of private health insurance consumers and has an independent complaint-handling service.

    Ambulance Victoria services

    Health Complaints Commissioner (HCC)

    Phone: 1300 582 113

    Visit:  www.hcc.vic.gov.au

    The HCC receives and resolves complaints about health service providers with a view to improving the quality of health services for everybody.


    Victorian Ombudsman

    Phone: (03) 9613 6222

    Visit: www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au

    The Victorian Ombudsman’s jurisdiction includes all parts of the State Government and its statutory authorities.

  • Concern Help
    National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)  funded supports and services

    NDIS Quality & Safeguards Commission

    Phone: 1800 035 544

    Visit: www.ndiscommission.gov.au

    This Commission is an independent agency established to improve the quality and safety of NDIS supports and services. It regulates NDIS providers, promotes safety and quality, resolves problems and identifies areas for improvement.

    Any individual disability worker (registered or unregistered)

    Victorian Disability Worker Commission (VDWC)

    Phone: 1800 497 132

    Visit:  www.vdwc.vic.gov.au

    The VDWC can receive any enquiry, complaint or notification about any disability worker in Victoria, including about their:

  • Concern Help
    An action or decision made by Victorian state and local government authorities

    Victorian Ombudsman

    Phone: (03) 9613 6222

    Visit: www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au

    The Victorian Ombudsman takes complaints about the actions or decisions of government departments, councils, publicly funded community services and organisations such as the MHCC.

    Police misconduct and corruption in the public sector 

    Victoria Police Conduct Unit

    Phone: 1300 363 101

    Visit: www.police.vic.gov.au


    Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC)

    Phone: 1300 735 135

    Visit: www.ibac.vic.gov.au

    IBAC is Victoria's agency responsible for preventing and exposing public sector corruption and police misconduct. It:

    • receives complaints and notifications
    • investigates and exposes serious corruption and police misconduct
    • informs the public sector, police and the community about risks and impacts of corruption and police misconduct, and ways it can be prevented
  • Concern Help

    A Victorian Government agency or local council’s failure to comply with one or more of the Information Privacy Principles.

    Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC)

    Phone: 1300 006 842

    Visit: www.ovic.vic.gov.au

    OVIC is Victoria’s primary regulator and source of independent advice about how the public sector collects, uses and shares information.

  • Concern Help

    Complaints and concerns about lawyers and legal services, e.g.

    • costs
    • conduct and behaviour
    • quality of service

    Phone: 03 9679 8001

    Visit: www.lsbc.vic.gov.au

    The VLSBC are independent statutory authorities responsible for the regulation of the legal profession in Victoria. 

  • Concern Help
    Discrimination, victimisation, sexual, harassment and racial or religious vilification

    Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC)

    Phone: 1300 891 848

    Visit: www.humanrights.vic.gov.au

    VEOHRC is an independent organisation with responsibilities under Victoria’s human rights laws. It resolves complaints and undertakes education, engagement, investigations and independent reviews. VEOHRAC advocates for stronger protections and greater respect for human rights and equality.

Reviewed 14 April 2021

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC)

Was this page helpful?